About Me

I'm somewhat introverted, I'm a voracious reader, and I love a good conversation. My interests and activities can be found on the right side of the page. My life goal is to use the gifts and talents God has bestowed on me to glorify Him and benefit others.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Of Psalms and Homework-Inspired Horror Films (But Mostly Psalms). ;-)-

Has anybody out there been feeling really crummy lately, like hardly anybody gives a rip about ya? Unfortunately, that's been my attitude lately. But on Monday night, I picked up my Bible for the first time in a long time (at least, in a non church-related environment). I found some really cool encouragement in Psalm 73 and 77. Psalm 73 reads:


Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.
They are free from the burdens common to man;
they are not plagued by human ills.
Therefore pride is their necklace;
they clothe themselves with violence.
From their callous hearts comes iniquity;
the evil conceits of their minds know no limits.
They scoff, and speak with malice;
in their arrogance they threaten oppression.
Their mouths lay claim to heaven,
and their tongues take possesion of the earth.
Therefore their people turn to them
and drink waters in abundance.
They say, "How can God know?
Does the Most High have knowledge?"
This is what the wicked are like-
always carefree, they increase in wealth.
Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure;
in vain I have washed my hands in innocence.
All day long I have been plagued;
I have been punished every morning.
If I had said, "I will speak thus,"
I would have betrayed your children.
When I tried to understand all this,
it was oppressive to me
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.
...Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
I was literally just flipping through Psalms on Monday night, and this Psalm just encouraged me so very much. It's my favorite Psalm now. ;-)- The section in bold illustrates exactly the way I've thought for the past six months or so. It's so awesome to find a passage that describes your life perfectly; it's so encouraging amidst times of trial. But you know what? I probably would never have gotten this encouragement if my amazingly incredible girlfriend Vanessa had not encouraged me to read my Bible earlier that day. This just illustrated to me how important it is for us as Christians to have like-minded friends that will encourage us in our walk with Christ and not distract us from it. Something to think about. Anyways, I just thought I'd share that with y'all, hope it encourages ya. Anyways, I g2g...there's a voice in the back of my head whispering to me : "Do your homework, or else!!!" ;-)- Like something out of a low-budget but yet still oddly freaky horror film. Weird. Maybe Quentin Tarantino and Eli Roth should stop making gory slashers and produce a film based on the aftermath of students not doing their homework and watching it all pile up, until they're finally, exonerably buried alive in an ever-deepening grave of college ruled notebook paper and exams. I think the Jigsaw Killer would be far freakier if he simply assigned unrealistic, ridiculous amounts of complex homework to his victims as part of his sick, twisted games. Jason, meet your match: the homework-obsessed college professor. Lol. TTYL.
Slim Shaney

No comments: