About Me

I'm somewhat introverted, I'm a voracious reader, and I love a good conversation. My interests and activities can be found on the right side of the page. My life goal is to use the gifts and talents God has bestowed on me to glorify Him and benefit others.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Year GOALS (Not resolutions, Because as Everyone Knows Those are Made to Be Broken!)

January 1, 2011

New Year Resolutions

Shane Latham

NEW YEAR GOALS 2011


Each of these New Year Goals encompass things that I plan to accomplish this year, as all New Year Goals do. The difference with these, I hope, will be the measurable, time-sensitive goals I will attach to these goals. I haven’t decided yet if the goals will be included in a separate document, or as an addendum to this. Here are the goals themselves:

1. DEVOTIONALS. Put devotionals before everything else in my morning (except showering, which is essential to waking me up). This includes reading, working out, doing homework, entertaining myself, and especially surfing the internet.

2. PRAYER. Make prayer as natural as breathing. When I’m faced with problems or quandaries, or given opportunities to be thankful, I want prayer to be my first response. This necessitates a careful study of prayer, and knowledge of the different forms of prayer (intercessory and healing, for example).

3. PUTTING GOD FIRST. I want to turn to God first with my problems, especially before I turn to three other substitute comforts already identified: A) music, B) social media (virtual connection to others-Facebook, email, ect.) and C) friendships with women.

4. PRIORITIES. I want to prioritize better this year, and put first things first. That means asking myself three questions: 1. What is required of me? 2. What gives me the greatest return? 3. What gives me the greatest reward? I want to build a habit of doing what is required before my leisure time, but also switch up my routine occasionally to avoid boredom and slavery to a system.

5. HOMEWORK. I will realize that doing extracurricular activities (exercise, martial arts, guitar, leisure time) is contingent on accomplishing my homework, and will plan accordingly. Pay now and play later, or play now and pay later. Either way, I pay.

6. MONEY MANAGEMENT. I want to manage my money a lot better, figuring out exactly how much I make in a typical month at BK, allocating money consistently and spending frugally, and especially balancing my checkbook every night (or every other night).

7. GUITAR. I want to consistently practice guitar this semester, perhaps mapping out a lesson plan each weekend and then performing the necessary repetitions each night.

8. EXERCISE. I want to exercise every day consistently, and incorporate martial arts into my workout. This will require getting the homework for my early morning classes done the day before.

9. CREATIVITY. For too long I have been a consumer, reading other’s words and thinking their thoughts. I want to focus this year on being a creator, on writing my own words and thinking my own thoughts. To accomplish this, for every period of leisure time I spend reading an extracurricular book, the next available slot of leisure time I want to work on writing my own. This is a philosophy I want to slowly build into my life in stages, until this proper balance of consuming and creating becomes a major part of my existence.

No comments: